To register please click the +join in the upper right hand corner, pay and you will be instantly in the class. You will find the videos along the right hand side of the page under "course content". This course is $18.
The course will cover a basic introduction to bees, beekeeping and honey production. This class will be a great beginners class on how to start a hive. For gardeners who want to maintain a hive for pollination or for those who want to collect honey, this class will give you all of the information you need to start beekeeping in your backyard. Very basic knowledge on beekeeping is helpful but not necessary.
Jason and I will give each student a basic knowledge on beekeeping. This beginner class is perfect for the backyard beekeeper who wants to maintain a hive for pollination for their vegetables and flowers, to gather the honey for personal consumption, and the basics of information for beekeeping.
The class will be set up like this:
-Equipment to buy to start a hive
-How to get a colony of bees and which ones to choose for your area/climate
- How to set up your hives and understand their construction
- The basics on feeding your hive when there is no pollen available (early spring)
- How to introduce your queen to a new hive
- What to do in case your hive ‘swarms’
- The best methods for working in the hive (including equipment to wear)
- A basic look into understanding the hive and the ‘language’ of the bees
- How to harvest your honey and the proper bottles/containers for storage
A few recipes to enjoy your newly harvested fresh honey!
Overall, Jason and I hope this course will have the students realize the important and vital role honey bees play in pollination so we can have food. We cannot do without our honey bees!!
This mini course will be taught by Jason and Anne Marie Klaske.
Latest Activity: Dec 9, 2016